I think I might have been called to a different mission. Not in a bad way, though I do miss all the farmers. My area and work are very different, though. Here are some examples:
- We’re in the YSA which means that we cover an entire stake as missionaries. I don’t know how I’m ever going to get familiar with the geography of an entire stake but I’ll just lean not unto my own understanding and rely on the Lord and the tools He has given us (GPS).
- I’m serving in a branch, which feels very different. I looked around the chapel on Sunday and I new almost everyone’s name because there were only about 50 people there. It’s actually kind of nice.
- Much of our work revolves around ward activities and trying to encourage people to bring our friends.
- We are out of the country and in more of a populated area. The east side of the mission and the west side of the mission are pretty different, and I have officially crossed over into the east from the Wild Wild West for the first time.
- The area I’m in now is about 500% fancier than what I’m used to. I have dealt with and seen a lot of poverty in my mission but this are might not feature as much poverty as what I’m used to.
- Columbia is a lot more diverse culturally than any of the other areas I’ve served in, which is great!
- Also… usually if a missionary has a special assignment or calling the mission president calls them on the Sunday night before transfers. I guess they forgot about me because I got to transfer meeting and one of the sisters in a neighboring ward said, “Are you excited to be a Sister Trainer Leader?!” and I said, “What? You must have me mistaken for someone else!” but when I went to find my new companion I said “So…. are we sister trainer leaders?” Well, we are. This is kind of a new leadership position to provide training and support for sister missionaries, which is such a cool idea and also it’s a little terrifying for me. This is a position that the church is still developing so in a lot of ways it’s not completely structured, but I will go on exchanges pretty much every week this transfer. Fun!